This is a unique blend of flavours seared into the meat with coffee spices prior to cooking in a slow cooker.
- 1.5 kilo’s chuck beef roast or similar
- 1 red onion, halved and sliced
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
For coffee spice rub
- 2 tablespoons ground coffee
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Mix all coffee spice rub ingredients together and set aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a frypan over a medium to high heat. Make sure the pan is nice and hot.
- Rub the coffee spice rub into the meat thoroughly. Make sure you rub it in firmly covering the entire roast.
- Place the roast into the frypan and sear all sides for 3-4 minutes on each side. Make sure the pan is hot enough that you don’t lose the spices but not hot enough to burn the roast. You are looking for a nice crust on the edges of the meat.
- Place the sliced onions in the bottom of a slow cooker and place seared meat on top.
- Add water, cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours or low for 7-8 hours.