- One 2.5 to 3 kg shoulder of lamb
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 60 ml extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Sea salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 375 ml olive oil
- White pepper
- Trim excess fat from roast. Combine all spices, sea salt and extra virgin olive oil. Rub all over the roast ensuring it is well coated. Plate on a plate and cover loosely with cling film and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove lamb 2 hours prior to cooking and allow to stand at room temperature. Pre heat the oven to 130 degrees Celsius.
- Whisk egg yolks in a large bowl. Add garlic, sea salt and lemon juice while slowly mixing in the oil.
- Continue adding oil slowly until it is well combined. Mix continuously when adding or the aioli may split. Add a couple of pinches of pepper, salt and some lemon juice. Check flavour and adjust accordingly.
- Place the roast in a baking tray and drizzle with a small amount of olive oil. Add 125 ml of water. Place 2 sheets of foil over the lamb to make a tent and then leave to cook for 2.5 to 3 hours.
- Reduce heat too 100 degrees and continue to cook for another 3 hours. Remove from oven and allow to stand for 20 minutes before carving.
- Serve lamb with aioli on top, freshly ground pepper and your favourite roast vegetables.