Makes 8 servings
For the crust
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
For the filling
- 7 eggs
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 6 slices of lean bacon
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper
- (You can add additional items such as capsicum or tomato if desired)
- Pre-heat oven to 190 degrees C.
- In a medium bowl, combine almond meal, egg and egg white until “dough” starts to come together. Press dough into pie tin, using the palm of your hand to reach desired thickness. Poke crust with a fork to avoid bubbles.
- Bake crust for about 15-20 minutes, or until lightly golden brown.
- While crust bakes, fry bacon in a pan until crispy. Crumble and set aside.
- In the same pan, sauté onions and mushrooms until onions are translucent. Add spinach and cook down slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs and coconut milk. Add bacon, onion, mushrooms, spinach and mozzarella cheese. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Pour egg mixture into pre-baked pie shell. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until centre is just slightly set. Ideally it should be slightly jiggly, but not loose.
- Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before slicing.